Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Pfaff!


Pfaff!

Out of Amelia Rosselli’s “October Elizabethans” (Primi Scritti, 1952-1963):
I have with a Pin
fastened this Letter,
that Ye may prick your Finger at it;
and I be revenged, for Your so scorching me
withYour disdaine.
So you did love me, you Say! I believe It not,
and Fain would have You Burn’t
’pon a Strong Fire; for so Playing at me; were it not I once again Forgive,
and do Continue sending you Missiles;
Plunging my Prick into your Heart like a Bee,
that dost pay with Death its owne, Blinde, Voracitee.
And:
O God, I am of too Violent a nature, I knowe,
and do Beset myself with Commands, & Freins,
all week Long; yet Sunday be my Worst day of alle:
then do I skamper, then do I throw off all Chains,
Run out into the Country, bother meek Friends with my Insistent joy;
Bang through Obstacles, Throw Chairs Flying, and Cause
such general Unrest, that Friends much Glader come visit
once I be totally exhausted, and do Rest
till next Ferial Day.